- This event has passed.
Juan de Marcos: Final artist-in-residence show
December 8, 2015 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
This culminating event, on the UW-Madison campus, will be a celebration of Juan de Marcos residency’s impact while in Wisconsin. Over the past semester, there have been 15 residency and partner events ranging from performances to lectures that have celebrated culture and music from Cuba.
The evening will include appearances and performances by special guests including Juan de Marcos, residency students, UW-Madison School of Music ensembles, high school finalists of a talent competition and legendary Hip Hop artist – Kurtis Blow.
The event will be live streamed at www.go.wisc.edu/juandemarcosvideos
December 8, 2015 | 7:30pm | Free event
· Frederic March Play Circle, Memorial Union | 800 Langdon Street, Madison
· Limited Seating | General admission – first come, first serve (encouraged arrival time: 7:15pm)
· Live streamed at website: www.go.wisc.edu/juandemarcosvideos
-Website includes some videos from his residency
· Overflow seating in Memorial Union’s Der Rathskeller
· Students from the “Music Production: Afro-Cuban and Hip Hop Music” course (including some from OMAI’s First Wave program)
· School of Music’s Jazz Orchestra, Latin Jazz Ensemble and World Percussion Ensemble performing compositions written by Juan de Marcos
· Top three high school finalists of Madison’s Schools Got Talent competition
· Juan de Marcos, legendary Cuban musician
· Kurtis Blow, legendary hip hop artist and first rapper to be signed to a major label
The UW-Madison Arts Institute (presenter of the residency) along with hosting partners – School of Music and the Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (OMAI) within the Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement have partnered with Breaking Barriers Mentoring, Inc. and many other community organizations and supporters, including Boys and Girls Club of Dane County, to bring Kurtis Blow for a guest appearance and the top three finalists of the Madison’s Schools Got Talent competition to perform on campus. Thank you to the numerous partners and supporters of the residency and the Dec. 8 event.