- This event has passed.
April 8, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 11:00 pmFree
*May be of interest to the LGBTQ community
Celebrate MMoCA’s anniversaries during a special MMoCA Nights event. From 6–11 pm, guests can explore exhibitions in four gallery spaces, and enjoy 10 special offerings and activities, including:
- Hear the first StephenFleischman Lecture* beginning at 6:30 pm with internationally acclaimed architect Cesar Pelli¸ who is known for designing some of the world’s most prestigious and recognizable buildings. Pelli designed both the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art and the Overture Center for the Arts.
o *Lecture hall reservations are full. Overflow viewing is available based on a first come, first served basis. The seating will begin at 5:45 pm.
- Drop in for two, 15-minute tours of MMoCA’s exhibitions. At 7:45 pm, join senior curator Richard H. Axsom for a discussion of Pergusa Three, Frank Stella’s tour-de-force print on view in Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective. At 8:45 pm, associate curator Leah Kolb will offer an introduction to the compelling animation in William Kentridge: The Heart has Its Own Memory. Visitors can then enjoy a lively behind-the-scenes tour at 9:45 pm with Erika Monroe-Kane, MMoCA’s director of communications.
- Get creative: enjoy creating and curatingyour own mini museum and other art projects at 6 pm, 7 pm and 10 pm
- Take in Rooftop Cinema highlights beginning at 9 pm in the lecture hall. The screening features four audience favorites from the past 10 years:
o Powers of Ten (New Version) (Charles and Ray Eames, USA, 1977, 16mm, 8 min.)
o Breakaway (Bruce Conner, US, 1966, 16mm, 5 min.)
o Neighbours (Norman McLaren, Canada, 1952, 16mm, 9 min.)
o Associations (John Smith, UK, 1975, 16mm, 7 min.)
- Experience original poetry that animates, celebrates, and deliberates on the value of the arts. Poetry Speaks includes a short program of readings in the museum’s State Street Gallery from 8 to 8:45pm. The full roster of works is on view in the museum’s lobby and State Street throughout the week-end long anniversary celebration. Poets from across the state were invited by the museum to submit works to Poetry Speaks. The finalists were selected by Wendy Vardaman and Sarah Sadie Busse, proprietors of Cowfeather Press and Madison’s fourth Poets Laureate.
- Dance to DJ Nick Nice mixes as the lobby turns into a dancefloor from 9 to 11 pm
- Enjoy hors d’oeuvres and cocktail specials from Fresco
Admission to this Anniversaries Celebration MMoCA Nights is FREE.
The MMoCA Nights sponsors are Newcomb Construction, The Alexander Company, Fresco, and Isthmus.
November 20 @ 6:00 pm