COTTAGE GROVE, Wis. — It’s a sport that’s growing here in the United States and thriving in our local community. But rugby – a contact sport that fathered American football and was featured in the 2016 Rio Olympics — is still not well known by many of us.
Madison United Rugby is eager to change that.
“We’re excited to host our inaugural Community Day on Sept. 29,” said Jeremy Holiday, President of Madison United Rugby (MUR). “We’d love to get to know local families, business owners and our neighbors here in Cottage Grove. We’re encouraging all to stop by to watch our games, learn about rugby, and enjoy a brat or burger on us.
“Our rugby teams love being a part of Cottage Grove’s growing community. We take pride in our beautiful home pitch and think of it as the best in the Midwest. Our games and tournaments bring thousands of visitors to the community each year, and this is one way to give back and reconnect with the community that supports us.”
With two dedicated rugby fields right here in Cottage Grove at the Wisconsin Rugby Sports Complex (WRSC), this local organization features 13 different and inclusive club teams covering all ages. See the full list of member clubs below or visit http://rugbymadison.org
to learn more and see a full schedule.
A number of high-profile tournaments are held at the WRSC, including the Big Ten Rugby 7s and the Wisconsin State High School Rugby Championships. The fall competitive season for many MUR teams has just kicked off and there are plenty of rugby games to watch at the WRSC on Saturdays through the end of November.
The MUR Community Day will feature rugby matches played by the local men’s and women’s adult teams. Rugby ambassadors will also be circulating in the crowd to explain the sport to new fans. The women’s team is also holding a food drive to benefit the Cottage Grove Food Pantry and help fill Thanksgiving baskets for families in the community.
MUR Community Day Details:
- When: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Where: Wisconsin Rugby Sports Complex, 4064 Vilas Road
- Admission: Free!
- Women’s Game: Wisconsin Women’s Rugby vs. Detroit Women, 11 a.m.
- Men’s Game: Wisconsin Rugby Club vs. Metropolis (Minneapolis), 1 p.m.
- Food: Free burgers and brats provided all day
- Prizes: Fun giveaway drawing for three international rugby jerseys
- Food Drive: Please bring donations to benefit Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church food pantry
- Needed items: Boxed cereal, Jam, Syrup, Canned cranberries, Brownie mix, Stuffing mix, Canned soup, Individual hot chocolate packets, Individual oatmeal packets, Toothpaste
MUR Member Clubs:
- Adult Teams: Madison Minotaurs (member of International Gay Rugby), Wisconsin Rugby Club (Division 2 Men), Wisconsin Women’s Rugby (Div. 1 Women)
- College Teams: University of Wisconsin Men (D1A/Big Ten), University of Wisconsin Women (D1)
- High School/Middle School: Madtown Furies Girls, Exiles Boys, Middleton Boys, Oregon-Stoughton Boys, West Boys
- Kids: Youth Flag Rugby (4-5 satellite locations across greater Madison region)