Overture Center for the Arts 16/17 Season Announced
Lineup includes The Phantom of the Opera and An Evening with Tony Bennett,
Beautiful – The Carole King Musical, Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella, Cabaret,
The Illusionists™ – Live from Broadway, Boyz II Men, Arsenio Hall, Nat Geo Live!
And, back by popular demand, Tony Award®-Winning ‘Best Musicals’
The Book of Mormon and Jersey Boys
MADISON, Wis. – Overture announced its 2016/17 Broadway and Overture Presents season, which brings more than 100 performances to downtown Madison.
The Broadway season:
- Twelve years after it premiered in Madison, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera is back in Cameron Mackintosh’s new production and tour, which launched in 2013. The show opens at Overture Center on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 for a two-week engagement.
- Appearing for the first time in Madison from October 4-9, 2016 is Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella, a Tony Award® winning show.
- Also making their Wisconsin Premiere during Thanksgiving week in 2016 is The Illusionists™ – Live From Broadway™, which The New York Times calls “A High-tech Magic Extravaganza.”
- Jersey Boys, Tony Award® winner for Best Musical, brings the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons back to Overture Center in January 2017 for a one week engagement.
- Opening its one-week engagement on March 21, 2017 is Best Revival Tony Award® winning Cabaret, the classic musical direct from Broadway and award-winning Roundabout Theatre Company’s 50th anniversary season.
- Back by popular demand, The Book of Mormon, which played a sold out, one-week premiere run in 2015, returns to Madison in May 2017 for one week only.
- Closing the 2016/17 Broadway season with its first Overture appearance is the inspiring true story of a star’s remarkable rise in the music industry, Beautiful – The Carole King Musical, a two-time Tony Award® winner in 2014.
“Our 2016/17 season will deliver more of what our audience has been asking for — including premiere performances and return favorites,” said Overture Center CEO Ted DeDee. “The growth in subscriptions has exceeded our expectations over the past few years, and because of the support of our audience we continue to be able to secure the best touring Broadway shows available. We are grateful for the interest and thank the community for making us their Broadway destination! Our Overture Presents series includes a diverse line-up of concerts and shows for all ages and will provide the exceptional experiences our audiences have come to expect from Overture Center for the Arts.”
Overture Presents highlights:
- Trey Parker’s Cannibal! The Musical (by the South Park and The Book of Mormon writer) is in Capitol Theater for one week only in October.
- Graeme of Thrones is a parody created by a team of some of the UK’s top comedy writers.
- The Investment Services at UW Credit Union Celebrity Series includes Tony Bennett in October, who is turning 90 this year and has been putting out chart-topping records and selling out the world’s top venues for sixty years straight, and Itzhak Perlman in April with pianist Rohan de Silva.
- The Cabaret Series returns with Tony Award® winner Levi Kreis, Megon McDonough from The Four Bitchin’ Babes, Broadway’s Mandy Gonzalez, and The Voice and The Phantom of the Opera star Chris Mann.
- Arsenio Hall, known for his late-night talk show and Coming to America, is part of the ProVideo Comedy Series.
- Boyz II Men, the best-selling R&B group of all time, and Overture’s Rising Stars 2015 winners Charles Scott and John DeHaven are part of The Bell Laboratories Music Series along with Glenn Kotche (Wilco) and the Chicago-based Third Coast Percussion in Wild Sound.
- American Girl’s Fund for Children Family Series presents The Okee Dokee Brothers, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, and Emmy® winner Mo Willem’s Elephant and Piggie’s We Are in a Play! in February.
- Puppet Festival at Overture is a new feature that will run March 31-April 2, 2017 and include a lineup of traditional and modern versions of one of humanity’s oldest art forms.
- Nat Geo Live! returns with four lectures in its series sponsored by Exact Sciences.
Free and Low-Cost programs continue:
- Kids in the Rotunda offers free performances most Saturdays between October-April.
- Duck Soup Cinema will be celebrating its 30th anniversary season sponsored by Goodman’s Jewelers, with Vaudeville acts and silent films.
- MadCity Sessions, sponsored by Triple M and WISC-TV, is back for the season as well, but will be held in the historic Capitol Theater.
How shows are selected:
We’re often asked how Overture comes up with the shows that comprise the season. That responsibility belongs to Tim Sauers, Overture Center VP of Programming and Engagement. “We live in a very diverse community,” Sauers said. “When booking Overture’s season, I take the portfolio approach and work to come up with something for everyone. The ‘engagement’ part of my job means that I have regular contact with our patrons and hear their suggestions and comments about programming. We also regularly survey our customers for what shows they want to see. All of this is factored into the shows that we consider.”
How to get tickets:
The only way to get tickets to Overture shows now (and to get the best seats) is to renew or purchase a subscription. A Broadway subscription includes Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella, The Illusionists™ – Live From Broadway™, The Phantom of the Opera, Cabaret and Beautiful – The Carole King Musical, with the option to make six and/or seven show packages with Jersey Boys andThe Book of Mormon. Patrons can also make their own non-Broadway subscriptions by choosing any four non-Broadway performances, or subscribe by series. Purchase subscriptions before May 9, 2016 at overturecenter.org, by mailing or emailing the order form in the center of the brochure, or in-person at the box office.
Tickets are available for groups of 10 (some shows 15) or more people. Many shows offer discounted group tickets which can be reserved beginning April 11, 2016. Single tickets for Overture Presents shows go on sale July 9. Broadway single tickets will go on sale throughout the season. Visit overturecenter.org or call 608.258.4141 for more information.
Full season is listed below.
TUE, AUG 16 Chicago Live in Concert
SUN, AUG 21 Weird Al Yankovic
TUE, SEP 20 National Geographic Live – Chasing Rivers with Pete McBride
TUE, OCT 4-SUN, OCT 9 Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella
FRI, OCT 7 Maraca & His Latin Jazz All Stars
SAT, OCT 8 Duck Soup Cinema – Metropolis
FRI, OCT 14 Capitol Steps
SUN, OCT 16 An Afternoon with Garrison Keillor
THU, OCT 20 Overture’s Rising Stars – Charles Scott & John DeHaven
TUE, OCT 25-SUN, OCT 30 Trey Parker’s Cannibal the Musical
FRI, OCT 28 An Evening with Tony Bennett
THU, NOV 3 Cabaret Series – An Evening with Levi Kreis
SAT, NOV 5 Duck Soup Cinema – Her Wild Oat
THU, NOV 10 The Hillbenders Present – TOMMY: A Bluegrass Opry
THU, NOV 17 MadCity Sessions: Wheelhouse & The People Brothers Band
SAT, NOV 19 The Okee Dokee Brothers
TUE, NOV 22-SUN, NOV 27 The Illusionists™ – Live From Broadway™
MON, NOV 28 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas
TUE, JAN 3-SUN JAN 8 Jersey Boys
TUE, JAN 10 CITIZEN Reggie Wilson / Fist & Heel Performance Group
THU, JAN 12 MadCity Sessions – Oh My Love & Modern Mod
SAT, JAN 14 Brown Bear, Brown Bear & Other Treasured Stories
WED, JAN 25-SUN, FEB 5 The Phantom of the Opera
SUN, FEB 12 Boyz II Men
SAT, FEB 18 Duck Soup Cinema – Safety Last
SUN, FEB 19 Elephant & Piggie’s We Are in a Play!
FRI, FEB 24 Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo
TUE, FEB 28 National Geographic Live –
Spinosaurus: Lost Giant of the Cretaceous with Nizar Ibrahim
WED, MAR 1 Drumline Live
FRI, MAR 3-SAT, MAR 4 Graeme of Thrones
SAT, MAR 4 Saturday Night Fever
SAT, MAR 11 Duck Soup Cinema – The Thief of Bagdad
THU, MAR 9 Cabaret Series –
Megon McDonough Her Way: An Interesting Bunch of Gals
THU, MAR 16 Jazz 100
TUE, MAR 21-FRI, MAR 26 Cabaret
FRI, MAR 31 Manual Cinema’s Lula Del Ray
SAT, APR 1 The Man Who Planted Trees
SUN, APR 2 Erth’s Dinosaur Zoo Live
TUE, APR 4 National Geographic Live –
Rhinos, Rickshaws & Revolutions: My Search for Truth with Ami Vitale
THU, APR 6 Cabaret Series – Mandy Gonzalez: Love Always
SAT, APR 8 Duck Soup Cinema – Sherlock Jr., Cops
THU, APR 13 MadCity Sessions – Lo Marie & Grupo Candela
FRI, APR 14 Arsenio Hall
SAT, APR 29 Itzhak Perlman with pianist Rohan de Silva
TUE, MAY 2 National Geographic Live –
Among Giants: A Life With Whales with Flip Nicklin
THU, MAY 4 Cabaret Series – Chris Mann
SAT, MAY 6 Wild Sound: Third Coast Percussion and Glenn Kotche
TUE, MAY 9-SUN, MAY 14 The Book of Mormon
FRI, JUN 2 The Second City Summer Blockbuster
TUE, JUN 13-SUN, JUN 18 Beautiful – The Carole King Musical