- This event has passed.
MMoCA’s Gallery Night
October 10, 2014 @ 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Art Exhibition
This Event: May be of interest to the LGBTQ community
On October 10, Gallery Night will be celebrated at 60 venues as lovers of art, culture, and community flow into galleries, museums, coffee shops, restaurants, and other local businesses to enjoy a community-wide night out like none other. Held each spring and fall, the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art’s Gallery Night provides a dynamic evening packed with performances, receptions, artist talks, art-making demonstrations, and live music. Gallery Night is from 5 to 9 pmand this fall will culminate in a special celebratory After Party in the beautiful lobby of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art (MMoCA), from 9 to 11 pm.
“We love seeing people all around the community out viewing, talking about, and enjoying art,” stated Stephen Fleischman, MMoCA director. “The energy of the evening truly speaks to the vibrant cultural life of Madison, and makes organizing this event for over 25 years as rewarding and important as it was in the beginning.”
Whether in favorite neighborhood spots or elegant spaces downtown, individuals can experience works by local, national, and international artists. Highlights for this fall include:
- A storytelling-themed After Party in the MMoCA lobby (9-11 pm) with spoken word/hip hop performances from Rob Dz, cocktails from Fresco, snacks, and hands-on art activities. Guests will enjoy sampling complimentary artisanal pizzas by The Roman Candle Pizzeria, offered until completely devoured;
- The 20th anniversary of long-time Gallery Night participant Milward Farrell Fine Art on Monroe Street;
- An evening of photography with Joseph Leute at HotelRED;
- Several new venues including [orange square] Studio, Fat City Emporium, Blue Hill by Hand, Madison Art Hub, Juneberry Studio, Gallery Marzen, Evoluntion Arts Collective, and Rupert Cornelius;
- A number of venues featuring work from the PhotoMidwest Festival including Capital Lakes Retirement Center, PhotoMidwest (formerly The Center for Photography at Madison), Driftless Studio, James Watrous Gallery, and UW Hospitals and Clinics;
- A chance to win a gift card to the Roman Candle: snap a creative photo and upload it to Instagram using tag #MadGalleryNight and @mmocamadison to enter;
- Works from Lowell Elementary Students at Plymouth Congregational Church of Christ;
- A fundraiser for the artists of the Madison Area Rehabilitation Center at Yahara Bay Distillers.
To help visitors plan their Gallery Night excursions, an electronic map of participating venues can be found at www.mmoca.org/gallery-night. The printed guide to Gallery Night, with details about offerings and locations, may be picked up free of charge at participating establishments. A map and list of Gallery Night participants will also be available in the October 10 edition of Isthmus.