Madison, WI – Today, the Board of Directors of Fair Wisconsin, Inc. and Fair Wisconsin Education Fund announced that at the end of February 2015, President & CEO Katie Belanger would be departing the organization to pursue new professional opportunities.
“Although it’s hard to leave so many good friends and colleagues, as well as this vibrant movement, I’m also excited about the future — for our organization, for the LGBT community, and for me,” said Katie Belanger.
• Katie Belanger joined Fair Wisconsin in 2009. During her nearly six year tenure with Fair Wisconsin, the organization:
• Passed the domestic partnership registry and defended this landmark legislation before the Wisconsin State Supreme Court;
• Achieved several critical trans* inclusive nondiscrimination victories in local communities;
• Strengthened the LGBT equality movement by successfully merging with Equality Wisconsin and launching the Wisconsin LGBT Leadership Conference with our partners at Diverse & Resilient; and,
• Built the public support needed to achieve marriage equality.
“We want to thank Katie so much for her years of service to Fair Wisconsin,” said Jason Rae, chair of Fair Wisconsin, Inc. “Under her leadership, we were able to see significant strides made to better the lives of LGBT people in our state.”
Over the next few weeks, the Boards will finalize a transition plan and search process to find a new executive staff leader.
“The boards of both organizations remain committed more than ever to building upon our recent successes and working to achieve full lived equality for all people in Wisconsin,” added Rae.