Today we remember those who lost their lives and those who survived in the Pulse Nightclub shooting one year ago. As we work to honor them with action, we share with you The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs 2016 Hate Violence Report released today. Attached and read it here: http://bit.ly/Not1StoryNCAVP
Diverse & Resilient is a proud member and partner of the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs. We recently released Wisconsin’s first statewide warmline/resource line for LGBTQ survivors of violence. While this is a new program, we did receive a few calls in 2016 so we contributed to this report through our Room to Be Safe program. This is the first time Diverse & Resilient is a contributor to this report. Report is attached. To contact us through our Room to Be Safe line, call or text 414-856-LGBT (5428)
To download the full report please visit NCAVP online http://bit.ly/Not1StoryNCAVP
- 2016 was the deadliest year on record for the LGBTQ community.
- LGBTQ people of color and transgender and gender non-conforming people made up the majority of homicides.
- There was a 17% increase in homicides of LGBTQ people, not including the lives taken during the Pulse Nightclub shooting.
- The majority of survivors reporting hate violence to NCAVP member programs in 2016 experienced violence by someone they know.
- More LGBTQ survivors reported experiencing hate violence online in 2016.
- Of the LGBTQ survivors who interacted with the police, 66% said that police were indifferent or hostile.
NATIONAL—Today the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP) released its 20th annual report Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and HIV-Affected Hate Violence in 2016. For this report – the most comprehensive of its kind – NCAVP collected data on 1,036 incidents of hate violence against LGBTQ and HIV-affected people from 12 local NCAVP member organizations in 11 states. States reporting were: Arizona, California, Illinois, Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Virginia, Vermont and Wisconsin.
Find full release here: http://avp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/NCAVP_2016_HVReport_Media-Release.pdf